Man reunited with first responders who saved his life

0
293
Greg Molina giving Terry Carpenter with the Montgomery County Hospital District a hug for helping to save his life.

On Easter Sunday of 2017, Gregory Malina went into cardiac arrest at his home. His wife immediately called 911 and started CPR. Thanks to her efforts as well as members of the Montgomery County Hospital District and North Montgomery County Fire Department, Malina is alive today. Molina and his wife, Nancy, got to meet the people who saved his life that day.

The reunion was held Nov. 13 at the Montgomery County Hospital District.

Greg Malina said it’s a miracle he’s alive.

“Basically what happened is I was going to go for a walk and my wife was fixing to go to work, and I stood up and told my wife that I wasn’t feeling well, and then I was out,” Molina said. “This is all I remember other than everybody telling me about the first responders coming out. I had what they call sudden death, and the doctors gave my wife like a two percent chance to live, a 2 percent chance to walk, talk, do anything, so the whole thing has been a very big miracle.”

Greg Malina is joined by his family and members of the Montgomery County Hospital District and the North Montgomery County Fire Department.

Malina is very grateful to the first responders who saved his life.

“These people are angels from God. If they weren’t there I would not be here to speak with you right now or anyone else,” Malina told Bluebonnet News. “I also got to meet three more of my grandchildren since then. The whole thing has been an eye-opening experience, and I give the majority of this to God, for giving me this opportunity.”

Greg’s wife, Nancy, performed CPR on him that day.

“He had sudden cardiac arrest and I called 911, and she (dispatcher) tried to tell me how to do CPR, which I was not doing correctly, and the reason why I know that is when the first responder came and showed me what to do, he had already flatlined,” Molina said. “They had to restart his heart, and he was in the hospital for 10 days. Still to this day I don’t know what caused it, it wasn’t a heart attack, it wasn’t plaque in the heart, it was just the electrical system.”

Malina said it took her husband about three months to recover.

“He was only given a 1 percent chance of coming out of it and being perfectly normal, so it’s a real miracle,” he said.

Leave a Reply