Storm victims need to be mindful of requirements for rebuilding, repairing structures in the floodplain


As people start to rebuild from Tropical Storm Imelda, Montgomery County Floodplain Management reminds people to determine if they are in the FEMA Special Flood Hazard Area (100-year flood or floodway) before you start your repair process. If your commercial or residential structure is located in the 100-year floodplain or floodway, you need to follow the floodplain procedures.

Homeland Security and Emergency Management Officials said if you’re not sure if your structure is in the floodplain or floodway, you can quickly check by entering your address in the search line of the Montgomery County FEMA National Flood Hazard Layer (NFHL) Flood Plain viewer at:

If your structure is located in the floodplain, it will be shown in the Aqua areas. If your structure is in the floodway, it will be located in the Aqua and Red striped areas. Example map shown below:

Map showing floodplain areas

If you are still unclear, you can reach out to the Montgomery County Permit office and ask them to help you determine if your structure is in the floodplain/floodway. The permit office number is 936-539-7836.

If your structure is located in the floodplain, you will need to contact the Floodplain Management Office and provide an estimate of your repairs to determine if the Imelda blanket permit will cover your repairs or if you will need an individual permit.  You can reach the Floodplain Administrator, Diane Cooper, via email at or 936-538-8111.

Finally, if you have not yet reported your Tropical Storm Imelda damages to the Montgomery County Office of Homeland Security and Emergency Management, please register losses by filling out a damage report available at:

Leave a Reply